Basics of FileMaker Data API IntegrationThe FileMaker Data API is an application programming interface (API) that allows web services to access data in hosted FileMaker solutions via HTTP requests. Because this API conforms to Representational State Transfer (REST) architecture, the FileMaker Data API is considered a RESTful API.
- The web server routes the request through the FileMaker Web Server Module to the FileMaker Data API Engine.
- The FileMaker Data API Engine converts the HTTPS request (URL and JSON data) into a format that the Database Server component can understand, and requests data from the database hosted by the Database Server.
- The FileMaker Data API Engine converts the FileMaker data into an HTTPS response (URL with JSON data) to respond to the call, passing the data back to the web server.
- The web server sends the HTTPS response to the requesting REST API client.
FileMaker’s API can be used to either interact with FileMaker data (Data API) or administrator FileMaker Server 17 and higher (Admin API).
ENABLING FILEMAKER DATA API
The first thing you need to do is to enable the API in FileMaker 19 Server’s admin console.
To enable FileMaker Data API settings:
- Open Admin Console, click the Connectors > FileMaker Data API tab.
- Set FileMaker Data API to Enabled.